In March 2018, Skillset launched the Mentor Plus program to provide tailored mentoring to mining and construction apprentices and trainees in an effort to improve national completion rates. After more than 18 months mentoring over 1400 apprentices and trainees across the Central West, Far West and Orana, New England and Riverina regions of NSW, Mentor Plus concluded in December 2019. Free support for apprentices and trainees in the Mining and Construction Industries across the Central, Western, Riverina and New England regions on NSW.
What was the aim of Mentor Plus
Skillset was one of 24 organisations selected nationally to deliver the Australian Government’s Industry Specialist Mentoring for Australian Apprentices (ISMAA) program. The ISMAA program was funded by the Australian Government Department of Employment, Skills, Small and Family Business and provides intensive support for over 40,000 Australian Apprentices in the first two years of their training in a wide range of industries undergoing structural change.
According to the National Centre for Vocational Education Research (NCVER) completion rates of apprentices and trainees who commenced in 2014 have decreased to 56.7%.
Over the duration of the program, Skillset mentored 1,456 mining and construction apprentices across regional NSW, with over 95% being retained in the first and second year of their training.
What services did Mentor Plus Offer?
- Working with the employer and apprentice or trainee to assist with any workplace issues
- Working with the Registered Training Organisation and the apprentice or trainee when training issues are identified
- Finding solutions and support for personal challenges that an apprentice or trainee may be experiencing
- Supporting the apprentice or trainee to better understand the industry they are working in
- Providing career advice and pathways on completion of the apprenticeship or traineeship
What industry areas did Skillset Mentor Plus support?
Mentor Plus is supporting apprentices and trainees working in the following industries:
- Shop fitting
- Heavy Vehicle Mechanical
- Civil Construction,
- Underground, Open-cut and Coal Mining